Sunday 11 November 2007

Satisfaction

This has been a really good weekend.

I have officially, at 34, joined the ranks of the middle aged, and I am absolutely delighted to have done so. Ihave joined said ranks as I have bought a caravan.

Most people I know will either laugh at me, or sit there shaking their heads in disbelief. The caravan is desperately uncool, but I really don't care. We got our first van when I was 3, and we had one until after my sister & I had both left home. They make for the best holidays; having your home on your back, being able to go where ever you want, and I decided it was time to get a little of that action for myself. So, come March, I shall be the completely overexcited owner of a caravan. Between now and the we have the small matter of finding somewhere for it to live, as I don't have a drive, oh, and getting a car which can tow it, as the current one doesn't have a tow bar, but these are details, and small ones at that. The point is. I. Have. A. Caravan. Yay for me! :-)

The other part of making this weekend lovely is that I have some FOs too. Having said, in the last post, that I love nearly finished things. I also really love finished things too.

May I present Baby Kimono II, with a little bonus hat which I whipped up on Thursday night. They are knit in Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton, col. Tomato. The hat is pattern-less. Using some 5mm DPNs, I just consulted the oracle for diameter, making the rim in moss stitch to match the cardi, and One Skein for the depth (3.5 inches before decreases), and then just divided the number of stitches into 8, and started decreasing from there. Voila, a baby hat.

The kimono is after the pattern in Mason Dixon Knitting knit on a 5mm Addi circ. I cast on the same number of stitches knowing that it would come up a little larger than the Baby Kimono pattern, included in which is the 6 stitch moss stitch border. The sleeves have been made a little deeper to compensate, 13cm rather than the called for 10cm. None of the seams are sewn at the borders to allow for a little wriggle room.

Baby Lyne is due any day now, so I may soon have update shots to show off.

C's Christmas jumper is also finished. I am pleased with how this has turned out. It is the first jumper I have knitted, and even though it is a very simple pattern, from the Debbie Bliss book Home it is satisfying to have completed. I am particularly pleased with how the neckline turned out too. Now I just need to make Fred's jumper and at least I know the boys will be getting their Christmas pressies. The curse of an aunt who likes to make stuff. If Sarah & Jonathan don't send those boys into therapy when they are older their aunt certainly will.



Next up is something that didn't even make the WIP list. I was completely inspired by Brainylady Alison on Wednesday, when I got to her post and instantly decided that I neeeeeeeeeded to make the fpea quickie cowl, so after a little stash-dive I came up with 50 metres of one zero in what I think is Ischia, a pair of 12 mm needles and went for it. I reduced the number of stitches by half, given I was using a super chunky and needles twice the size asked for, and after sewing it up I was left with 6 inches or so of yarn. Even while knitting it I realised I wasn't making it for me, but for my mate Sara. She is a green-aholic, and it will go with her eyes just brilliantly, also with 2 small children it means that she won't be trailing scarf everywhere.

I have started another one for me, this time in some Debbie Bliss Soho that I had originally bought to make a pair of felted slippers in, but I think I am going to have enough to make the cowl and a matching pair of mitts, and I have decided that I am ahead enough of the Christmas present curve that I can afford a couple of illegal knits for myself. Fiona has also commissioned one, so you'll be seeing more of this pattern.

One last peek at this week's FOs.

All in all a very satisfying weekend. I am off to knit more cowl and figure out what I am going to have for dinner.

No comments: